Information and documents we need from you:

Personal information

This information tells the IRS exactly who’s filing, who is covered in your tax return, and where to deposit your tax refund.

  • Social Security numbers and dates of birth for you, your spouse, and your dependents .
  • A copy of last year’s tax return if not prepared by this office.

Income information and documents

  • W-2 forms for you and your spouse
  • 1099-C forms for cancellation of debt
  • 1099-G forms for unemployment income, or state or local tax refunds
  • 1099-MISC forms for you and your spouse
  • 1099-NEC forms for self-employment income
  • 1099-R for retirement income
  • 1099-INT, -DIV, -B, or K-1s for Dividends, interest income, stock and bond sales
  • HUD-1 settlement statement for purchase and/or sale of real estate
  • K-1 forms issued to you by LLC’s, Partnerships, or S Corporations
  • Sole Proprietor Business or farming income and expenses
  • Rental property income and expenses
  • Prior year installment sale information – Forms 6252, principal and interest collected during the year, SSN and address for payer

The following items can help reduce the amount of your income that is taxed, which can increase your tax refund, or lower the amount you owe.

  • Form 1098-E for student loan interest paid (or loan statements for student loans)
  • Form 1098-T for tuition paid (or receipts/canceled checks for tuition paid for post-high school)

For teachers:

  • Forms 5498 for retirement plans and IRA’s
  • Medical and dental expense records
  • Self-employed health insurance payment records  of moving
  • Keogh, SEP, SIMPLE, and other self-employed pension plans
  • Child care costs: provider’s name, address, tax ID, and amount paid
  • Forms 1098: Mortgage interest, private mortgage insurance (PMI), and points you paid
  • Investment interest expenses
  • Charitable donations: cash amounts, official charity receipts, canceled checks

Deductions and credits (continued)

  • Records/amounts of other miscellaneous tax deductions: union dues; unreimbursed employee expenses (uniforms, supplies, seminars, continuing education, publications, travel, etc.)
  • Rental property income/expenses: profit/loss statement, rental property suspended loss information
  • Records of home business expenses, home size/office size, home expenses

Taxes you’ve paid

  • State and local income taxes paid
  • Vehicle license fees based on value of vehicle
  • Real estate taxes paid
  • Personal property taxes

Other information

  • Estimated tax payments made during the year (self-employed)
  • Foreign bank account information: location, name of bank, account number, peak value of account during the year
  • Prior-year refund applied to current year and/or any amount paid with an extension to file

We've been helping tax payers with IRS Collections and Back Taxes for over 25 years.

Contact Swaim & Associates for a FREE consultation.